Ask Billy

Your questions, answered.

Billy Edgemon answers your accounting and tax questions.

Where’s my refund?

Refunds are typically issued within 21 days of e-filing. The IRS has a tool on their website Most states have a similar way to find refund information. With a few pieces of information from your return, you can quickly find the status and projected date for...

read more

My current tax preparer does an OK job, but I always feel rushed during my tax appointment. Also, he’s difficult to reach when I have a question. I want to change to someone else, but I’m afraid that some information might get lost by going to the new person.

I hear variations of this question frequently. If you have copies of your last 2 years tax returns, I can review them for any items that will impact your current year tax returns. Alternately, we can request transcripts or copies from the IRS. There is no reason to be...

read more

Do you need to file a federal tax return this year?

Maybe. There are multiple factors such as income, filing status, dependents and age to determine your filing requirements. Even if you don’t need to file a tax return, there are times when you should. You may qualify for a tax refund even if you don’t have to file....

read more

I just got a phone call from someone saying they were from the IRS. They wanted some personal information and my credit card number for back taxes that I owe. I don’t know what they are talking about. What should I do?

This is a scam. The IRS never contacts individuals via phone, email, text or social media. Usually, the first IRS contact will be through the U.S. Postal Service. You should report any helpful information to  Per former IRS Acting Commissioner Danny...

read more

I had a part-time summer job and earned $1,000. I was not an employee and they did not withhold any taxes. I thought I would be receiving something from the company that paid me. I haven’t received anything yet. What should I include on my tax return?

The IRS requires that taxpayers include every dollar earned on their returns, even if a 1099 is not received. The company you worked for is required to issue a Form 1099 to each non-employee that earned over $600 in a given year. They are supposed to mail these by...

read more

Contact Us

Integrity + Accuracy. It all adds up.

(619) 291-4655

4635 Louisiana St. San Diego, CA 92116

Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm, Sat-Sun: Closed

Message Us

Fill out the form below to get in touch.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.